Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My name is SJ, I like to dance!


In our family there is one show we can all agree on. Yo Gabba Gabba. I don't really know how to describe it, all you need to do is look at the above picture to sort of get what we're dealing with— a cyclops, a pink flowery raindrop, a yellow robot, a blue cat/dragon (?), and Brobee "the little green one." There's a lot of dancing, and singing 'helpful' songs like, "Don't Bite Your Friends," "It's Time to Put on Your Pajamas," "There's a Party in My Tummy," or my favorite, "Jumpy, Jump, Jump," and it isn't uncommon in our home for one of us to start singing YGG songs throughout the day at random. Our favorite is it's host, DJ Lance (doing his signature jump kick move seen below). Norah doesn't watch that much TV, and there aren't too many shows that really hold her attention, but when DJ Lance's signature orange hat pops up on the TV screen she gets the biggest smile on her face and will look at me and/or Nathan to make sure we also see it, and let me tell you, when I'm trying to make dinner/take a shower/clean the apartment/insert any myriad of tasks that are easier done not holding a baby, it is nice to have a sure fire way to keep her entertained for a solid 20 minutes (we currently have about 9 episodes banked in our TiVo for emergencies). And the bonus is that Nathan and I not-so-secretly enjoy it too. There are often fun guest appearances in Gabba Land, we are particularly looking forward to (and have the TiVo set for) this one.

13 comments:

Jill said...

Why have I never heard of YGG? Not only does that guy have one serious high kick, they teach useful life lessons as well! Thanks for the tip!

ps. that jack black clip is awesome.

k. said...

I sort of really love Jack Black even more, because he's done that show. He looks fabulous in orange spandex.

What channel is it on? I've never seen it before (but I suppose I'm not surfing for baby-friendly options very often).

The Jackson Three said...

I haven't ever seen it, but may need to watch it now to see what all the hype is about.

Granum Family said...

Okay, this is so funny. This is the only show that Kenzie loves too. She gets excited the minute she hears the music!

Melanie said...

We see clips of YGG on The Soup all the time, but I have never watched an actual episode. They always show clips of the little kids dancing, Nathaniel is awesome!
Maybe some day I'll let T watch it, but secretly, it kind of creeps me out!

Catherine said...

David still watches that all the time. We like "try it, and you'll like!" and "Party in my tummy". And last but not least "Don't eat food off the ground/We are the yucky yucky germs!"

B.E.A.T.L.E. said...

Okay so I have to say that my claim to fame is that I am friends with someone who is good friends with the creators of YGG and the girl inside the fuffa suit! I know it's a totally lame claim to fame, but I'll take what I can get. Besides I like the show.

PS. This is Leah Eucker (Davidson)

Smarties said...

Could there possibly be a better combo than YGG and Jack Black? Probably not. Our Tivo is set as well.

Laura-Lu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura-Lu said...

I remember when this show first came out and I thought, what is the world coming to? And then I watched it once while tending smarts and I found it intriguing. (I also now enjoy a show called Phineas and Ferb thanks to them). However, that host guy totally stole his signature move from Bret.

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Cal loves it but I'm afraid it will contribute to drug use later in life. Because how else can he experience that kind of stuff without trippin' out?

Nachelle said...

This is the most bizarre show, but addicting too, we are not regulars, but when we have caught it it is something that is hard to turn the channel on, our dvr is basically overtaken by Sesame Street, and that is all Miya ever asks for, over and over and over...

erin said...

okay bowens, after much talk circulating through the playgroup scene of the yo gabba gabba clip on your blog, i had to find blog bowen and watch for myself.

fox and i were captivated.

i am right now downloading some ygg episodes from itunes.

thanks team bowen for introducing us to our new favorite thing.