Friday, November 14, 2008

Playgroup through the Park

Once a week our ward typically does 'Playgroup,' which is an informal hang-out time for anyone who is around during the day. It offers a nice chance to get out of the apartment and socialize, particularly for stay-at-home parents who sometimes feel cooped up. (You can tell I'm new to this because I've taken the time to describe it).


So this last Friday was a special day for us - Sarah Jane took the day off and we went as a family. Side note: this is where SJ and I got engaged. Now we have a kid. That kid is in that stroller. And today I'm Captain Obvious.


Here's everyone at the meeting spot for Playgroup. The activity? Walking through Central Park and getting food at the new Shake Shack on the Upper West Side. 8 moms, 8 kids, and 1 dad. Notice that little Curtis is wondering who the oddball dude is.


The mommy brigade commences!


We walked by playgrounds...


We walked under huge trees...


We walked by people, ponds, and leaves...


Curtis kept checking me out...


...and I took pictures. In case anyone is wondering, I didn't change the saturation on this photo. The colors were gorgeous.


For some reason this picture reminds me of Better Off Dead and 'I want my two dollars!' Only instead of the paperboy on wheels you've... well, you get the point. Unless you haven't seen Better Off Dead. Never mind. Ooh, look at this next picture!


The entourage on Central Park West.


Finally we arrived at the Shake Shack, and promptly got told by some curmudgeon that we were taking up the sidewalk and should move. It's true; we were in the way.


Mmm. Shack burgers. What a sight. Who gets to do their lunch outings right in front of the Natural Museum of History? We do. I want to point out to my nieces and nephews that, since it was daytime, we didn't see any dinosaurs, cavemen, or monkeys out and about.


Great food, great company, plus Central Park at its peak in Fall. The only thing that could have topped the outing was if we could have spotted Meg Ryan with either Billy Crystal or Tom Hanks. Or a caveman.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

That was like a collision of my two old worlds! The first when we were a part of Manhattan 2nd ward and the second was when we were in the Union Square 1st ward!! Weird to see old friends with babies now. Say hi to Suzi, Nicole and Emma for us (that's all I could make out from the pictures!).
Loved the pics.

M said...

I love your "People, Ponds, and Leaves" photograph. Beautiful colors and composition.

And yay for Shake Shacks!

The Jackson Three said...

Great pictures Nathan...I'm glad that we brought you along as our official photographer!

Smarties said...

I wish I could have come too! (Spencer's bedtime stories about a little boy named "Pencer" are currently taking place in NY where he visits his cousin "Porah" and visits the Natural History Museum.)

Thanks for the awesome photos. Makes me almost feel like I was there. If only you could transmit one of those Shake Shack burgers through your blog too. That would be perfect.

Jill said...

Love the pictures, play dates are fun! And the shake shack was delish.

Annette said...

I love this blog post and photos. Thanks for sharing. I'm happy knowing the three of you were out in gorgeous Central Park with friends, visiting The Bench and photo-documenting. New Shake Shack - nothing but good news.
Love,
Gram/Annette/Mom

Suzi said...

The pictures are so great! I am so glad that the Bowen clan was able to come!

Craig said...

Great photos...wow you guys are real parents what with play dates and all. Another Shake Shack- it's about time.

Kristin said...

I love that Nathan is the one dad. And what is this about Shake Shack getting all fancy on us! It is a full fledged restaurant now?