Monday, February 02, 2009

Oh, the Superbowl happened yesterday too?

Tennis is the best kept secret in sports. Don't get me wrong, I watched (part of) the Superbowl, and it ended up being a pretty exciting game there at the end, but truth be told, I was way more excited about the Australian Open men's final yesterday than I was about the Superbowl. Where the Steelers and the Cardinals had me mildly interested, Federer and Nadal had me glued to my couch. Men's tennis is at such a golden age with the rivalry of these two (as well as some emerging talent like Andy Murray). When Roger and Rafa play you really never can predict who will win. The level of play is amazing, and the respect that they have for each other as players (and as people I think) just makes it that much more exciting to watch... and easy to be happy about the outcome no matter who wins. Despite the confetti and the coaches getting doused with gallons of gatorade, the end of the Superbowl was pretty unemotional for me, but I actually cried along with Roger Federer yesterday. I mean, to see someone who is so talented, so hard-working, so dedicated to his sport, and such a class act weep like that, you can't help but clench your own chest at his heartache. And to see Nadal, the victor, come and put his arm around Roger and offer him the highest of praise is real sportsmanship, and the true mark of a champion. I love it.

1 comment:

Laura-Lu said...

I'm right there with ya.