Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Door lock

To state the obvious, door locks are meant to prevent unwanted visitors from getting in a given space while still affording the key holder the flexibility to open and close at will. What it is not intended to do is keep the key holders inside that given space while providing access to everyone else.

That might have been the case a few Sunday mornings ago when we were trying to leave the apartment early in order to get to church on time. We tried to get out the door, but couldn't turn the lock. It reminded me of that part in Napolean Dynamite where Uncle Rico's client tries in silent fury to tear tupperware, eventually gives up, and quietly mutters "can't do it." Yes folks, we were locked in. Our keys? Left in the key hole over night.

Our door, locking us in.

Fortunately our good friend Joanna was on her way to church too and was able to stop by and free us. We buzzed her in and she procured the keys without difficulty. We're glad that it was her and not the person who stole our umbrellas and air freshener.

(SJ here: I also have to add that it was also FREEZING that day, so Joanna leaving her apartment earlier than planned to come free us was quite a noble, good deed. Thanks again Jo. I hope it was at least a good story to tell people at church that day how you had to let your idiot friends out of their own apartment.)

3 comments:

k. said...

Really?! That's funny. :)

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

I'm really glad you liked that part of Napolean Dynamite. It made me really happy.

Sometimes I tell Cory we're locked in and can't go to church. Then he calls my bluff and next thing I know, I'm wrestling calvin and not napping.

Anonymous said...

It was an excellent story to tell! That was about as productive as I was all day.