Wednesday, April 11, 2007

SUPER Nathan

Last spring Paul and Holly J. and I went to the Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co. in Park Slope (see photo here.) It's very fun if you ever get the chance to go. You get to try on capes in their full-service cape-testing station, and register your Superhero identity and powers in their Book of Superheroes. It's a really clever store, with great stuff such as 'invisible beam sensors,' 'space/time sleds,' 'foil force fields,' 'low budget utility belts,' 'invisibilty tracking devices,' and more. The coolest part is that it actually is a front for a tutoring center for young writers, and the entrance to the tutoring center is behind a wall of Superhero supplies. Good job Dave Eggars.

When Brigham, Jennie, and Jeremy were in town we decided to go out to Brooklyn, and found ourselves near the store. This time around Nathan donned the cape, and as you can see, it suited him well.

4 comments:

Annie said...

what were his super powers? Cool place...we'll have to check it out the next time we hit NYC. (Did you hear Dave Eggers is screenwriting the Where the Wild Things Are movie?). Nice to catch up with you on your blog!

Smarties said...

I asked Spencer if he wanted to comment on Nathan's pictures and he said, "Um . . . Blast off?"

nathan said...

I am Blablabla Man!

My superpowers are longwindedness, as in the following: I can lull students to sleep with loquacious and tangential ephemera and irrelevant side-facts to the actual topic, which is yet another superpower of mine in that I can hide topics under a mess of unnecessary caviats, which is a side-power if you will, one which confuses students if they haven't fallen asleep already. And then there's the mind-numbing power, which is a stage inbetween the sleep and confusion faze, but can also be its own exclusive side-effect to my blather (rather than a faze of transition from confusion to sleep). Really all of these powers reinforce one another in such a way that at any point, when one is no longer paying attention to anything in particular, I can swiftly assign crazy impossible homework!

Muranda said...

SJ,
Creepy, I know, but somehow I found Paige Liljenquist's blog, and here I am. You are so adorable, and I am so happy to see what you are up to. We are in your cute sister, Jenny's ward. Could her girls be any cuter? I am so glad to see you are doing well!

Muranda Warner Barker