Monday, June 09, 2008

BBQ

This past weekend was the annual Big Apple BBQ Block Party in Madison Square Park. I love this event. It seriously goes on my calendar the day I find out when it is happening. 'Pitmasters' from all over the country (Texas, Tennessee, North & South Carolina, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc.), come with their big smokers in tow and cook up their award-winning 'cue. There are SUPER long lines (see below), and if you don't get there early they run out of food (a lesson we learned the hard way the first year we went), but the food is amazing! This year there was the added twist of a freak heat wave that hit the city on Saturday, so in addition to big crowds, and waiting in long lines, we also had to endure 95 degree temperatures. Still worth it though.



8 comments:

Kristin said...

I remember all too well leaving that festival starving and having to get BBQ at a restaurant shortly thereafter because it was BBQ or bust!

nathan said...

I think that was my fault. Clearly some things can't be lived down. You'll have to come next year.

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

It's like a pregnancy miracle.

Smarties said...

Sad I missed the BBQ, but not sad that I missed the heat wave!

The Cannons said...

Hey SJ. Congrats on being preggers. I have friends moving to New York. They will live in Brooklyn. Where do you guys reside?

Craig said...

Ya when we missed it last year that was a huge bummer. Blue Smoke did prove to be a pretty good contingency plan, and I'm glad that we stuck with our guns on BBQ ot nothing.

Meg said...

I just found out you had a blog!! I'm so excited that I can see what you guys are up to when we leave. You are so close to your due date.

k. said...

I found you too! :) Fun. I'll send you an invite to ours...

Mike & I missed the barbeque... Hopefully next year. It looked so yummy...